Parhelion Literary Magazine
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Parhelion Literary Magazine
HALLOWEEN 2022! Submissions are open through September 30.
Submissions for Summer 2022 are closed — issue publishes early August.
Parhelion publishes a Winter Issue (February), a Summer Issue (July), and a Halloween Issue (October—fiction/flash only). We welcome submissions for fiction, poetry, nonfiction, and flash, as well as regular features. We are especially interested in strong voices, compelling stories, and innovative narrative technique. We want to connect to your work emotionally. We want to feel something when we read or view it.
- We accept work from both new and established writers.
- We do not accept previously published written work.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable but notify us immediately if the work is selected for publication elsewhere.
- Please include some information about yourself in your query—who you are, previous publications (no need to list 50), links to your social media, etc. We are happy to link our writers and artists to their professional sites so readers can find out more about you.
- At this time, we are unable to compensate writers but it is a future goal.
- Rights revert back to authors upon publication.
Response Times, plus some insights on how our editors work so you have an idea of what's happening
All the PLM editors work differently and have different response times. Darren reads poetry and responds along the way, so he's pretty timely. Elizabeth tends to skim at first and then goes back to read in-depth later; she also tends to send out responses just before publishing, which means she takes a while to hear from. Stephenie response time varies and tends to work closely with writers on editing potential pieces for publication.
- We do our best to respond to everyone, but if you don't receive a response, that means your submission was not accepted.
Fiction, Flash, & Nonfiction
- Stories and essays should be around 3,000 words or less; we seem to go for the 8-12 page stories, although sometimes we take longer pieces.
- Flash should be 1,000 words or less--you may submit up to three flash pieces; please put them in one document, starting each piece on a new page.
- Novel excerpts are accepted if self-contained.
- We feature multiple works by several poets in each issue. Please send no more than 10 pages of poetry when you submit. That could be ONE poem or TEN.
- Send one document, starting each poem on a new page.
- We do not tend to publish poems that are overtly about politics, nature, or religion.
- Send only one article, essay, or book review at a time.
- Submissions should be 1,500 words or less, with an emphasis on less.